Nandini Mehta is the daughter of Smt. Manorama Mehta who hails from the Ambale family in Mysore and Sri. K.C. Mehta, senior Advocate of Bangalore. Nandini was born in Mysore and studied in Bangalore. She is an an established danseuse proficient in the fields Kathak and Bharatanatyam, Nandini received her initial training in Bharatanatyam under renowned gurus Smt. Chandrabhaga Devi and Prof. US Krishna Rao and later pursued her training under Guru Smt. Narmada & Guru Smt. Bragha Bessell & Guru Smt. Bhanumati. Her passion for dance attracted her to train in Kathak.
She had the good fortune to come under the tutelage of Guru Smt. Maya Rao and Smt. Chitra Venugopal of NATYA Institute of Kathak and Choreography (NIKC) Bangalore. She pursued her training in Kathak from Gurus Kumudini Lakhia, Maulik Shah and Ishira Parikh, Ahmedabad. Nandini holds a degree in Choreography from NIKC. Nandini has also received formal training in Karnatic music from her mother Smt. Manorama Mehta. She is well versed with the various folk forms of India. Dance has taken Nandini to perform extensively in India, USA,Canada, France, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Vietnam, Thailand , Cambodia,Middle-East etc.
She is the recipient of the central governmentunior fellowship in Kathak for the years 2000-2002 and Senior Fellowship for the years 2012 to 2014. She has also been a soft skill trainer and a French lecturer in various colleges in Bangalore. She is the co-founder-director of NADAM, an academy of dance and music based in Bangalore. She imparts training in Kathak to aspiring students from India and abroad.
NADAM-an acronym for “Narthan Academy of Dance and Music”, was founded in the year 1997 by Nandini K Mehta & K Murali Mohan – the well-known Kathak exponents of Bangalore. Since its inception, it has witnessed a rise in its popularity in leaps and bounds. The academy works to showcase India’s Classical Dance & Music Forms and helps preserve them as living traditions. Our annual music & dance showcase, “Kala-Nadam”, is one of the leading events on Bangalore’s Cultural Calendar, featuring amazing national & international talent since 17 years consecutively. Nadam also holds a Classical Dance Festival for children below 13 called “Chinna Kala-Nadam”, since the year 2009
The academy imparts training in the fields of Kathak, Bharatanatyam, and Classical Music to aspiring students. The students are given intensive training to become professional dancers. Apart from training, the company has its own performing unit specializing in Classical and different Folk- forms of India.
Nadam ensemble has performed extensively in many prestigious festivals in India, USA, Canada, France, Switzerland, Sweden and the Middle-East.
Nadam has been placed in the Outstanding Category by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India and is also empanelled with the Indian Council for Cultural Relations(ICCR).
Nadam ensemble recently toured USA & Canada with a troupe of 5 dancers and gave successful performances in different cities in USA during August-September, 2016 winning rave reviews from connoisseurs and the press and were part of the AKKA ( World Kannada Conference), celebrations at Atlantic City, USA.
Guru Nandini Mehta’s Performances in India in some of the major festivals as listed below:
Bengaluru International Arts Festival-September -2014
Dasara Mahotsava- Mysore 2008
World Dance Day- Alliance Francaise, Bengaluru- 2013
Raindrops Festival-Mumbai- 2012
Pandit BirjuMaharaj ji,s Birthday Celebrations,New Delhi-2011
ICCR Horizon Programme-Bengaluru – 2012
Nada Neerajana Festival-Tirumala – 2015
Sangam Festival, Bhubaneswar,Orissa- September -2015
East – West Cultural Encounter- Bengaluru, February-2016
Alankrtha Nrityotsava – July 2016
Awards & Titles
1)”GUNA-NIDHI” ,for contribution to Kathak, by Gunagrahi magazine, Bengaluru ,2005
2) SRISHTI AWARD for contributionto dance- 2006
3) KALA-ARATHI RATNA by Arathi School of India Dance, Phoenix, USA- 2006
4) SWAR -KALA GAURAV -2008 – Saraswathi Sangeetha Vidyalaya, Bengaluru
5) “NATYASRI” , Vishakapatnam -2009
6) “NRITYA – NIPUNA” – Karnataka Nrityakala Parishath,2010
7) “INTERNATIONAL WOMAN,S DAY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD FOR DANCE” by Garden City College,Bengaluru-2011
8) “SHAKUNTHALA PRASHASTHI” ,Inspiration Award for contribution to Kathak Bengaluru,2015
9) “CHAKRADHAAR SAMMAN”BY Vrinda Kathak Kendra, Bhopal-2019
10) “KARNATAKA KALASRI AWARD”BY Karnataka Sangeetha Nritya Academy,Government of Karnataka-2019
1) Jai Shri Krishna – A ballet in Kathak
2) Ramana Namana – A ballet in Kathak based on the Story of Saint Ramana and his teachings.
3) Tawaif ki Kahani, Mujre ki Zubani – A production in Kathak based on Urdu poetry , tracing the 4 stages of the life of a Tawaif.
4) Zikr – e-Ghalib – Choreographed Kathak for the Ghazals of well-known Sufi poet Mirza Ghalib.
5) Ritu-Dhwani- A production based on the Seasons .
6) Antardhwani – An ode to the inner soul based on western classical and Hindustani music.
7) Choreographed Kannada poems written by Kuvempu, Bendre, Saint Purandara Dasa, Kanaka Dasa.
1) Graduate in Choreography from Natya Institute of Kathak and Choreography, Bangalore.
2) Received a Junior Fellowship in Kathak from the Ministry of Culture , Goverment of India, in 2002-2004 .The topic was Links between Kathak & Raas -Lila.
3) Received the Senior Fellowship in Kathak from Ministry of Culture , Government of India,in 2012 -2014 ,The topic was Nuances of Kathak in AshtaChaap poetry.
4) Toured France , Switzerland with a 5 member group in 1996.
5) NADAM ensemble toured 12 cities in USA in 2006 winning rave reviews.
6) NADAM ensemble toured USA & Canada with a 10 member troupe for 4 weeks in 2012 which was sponsored by ICCR.
7)NADAM Children’s ensemble representing India , was invited to Sweden to participate in the World’,s Children’s Prize Award Ceremony in October 2014.
8) NADAM ensemble is presently touring USA for 6 weeks from August to October 2016. The group also performed at the 9th AKKA convention held in Atlantic City, from 2nd to 4th September, 2016.
9) NADAM ensemble is placed in the” Outstanding Category ” ,under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India ,2016 for the Festivals of India Abroad.
10) NADAM ensemble is empanelled with the ICCR – Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi.
12) Nadam recently toured KAZAKHSTAN for the SCO Summit , Khanh Hoa Sea –Side Festival at Vietnam and Rhythm of the Earth Festival at Thailand for 20 days from 1st to 21st June,2017 , with a Group of 10 dancers.This was an ICCR sponsored tour.
13) Nandini K. Mehta is an “A” Grade Artist of Doordarshan in Bharatanatyam and Kathak styles.
12) NADAM has trained numerous students in Bharatanatyam and a Kathak and many have completed their Rangmanch Pravesh and also taken Dance Exams and have established themselves as solo dancers and dance teachers.